Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Color in its Infancy

Not the program or even the telecine process. I mean Color film itself. I saw this on another website and wanted to post it here for posterity. What an incredible window into the past... I appreciate the artistry of black and white film but there's something so present about color. I think we take it for granted because it's so commonplace now (though I remember the excitement I felt all week as a kid, waiting for our first color TV to be delivered).

I've never been lost in an old black and white film the way I've experienced with a beautifully shot color production. Seeing these old clips jars that feeling loose again because they represent a time and place where the pictures aren't supposed to be color. See for yourself:



Here's a blog post that gives more background on this incredible find: A Thousand Words

No comments: